Monday, March 29, 2010

Hickory, Hearts, and History


Saturday I found myself walking down the long gravel driveway that I've walked for 13 years. This time something grabbed my attention and swept me away! I spied a little heart in the dirt and quickly realized it as a hickory shell. Wow! I'd stepped on them for years, but never really saw them. Now it was as clear as day & I felt as though I'd just removed my blinders.

Of course I had to search for more, and soon had dozens scooped from the ground. Next step was - of course - the internet to learn about my treasure. I discovered that while many varieties of hickory have heart shaped nuts, this particular type had a much more distinctive shell (and hardly any nutmeat). I also remembered that the ground we now think of as home was once a settlement called Hickory Hill. In the 1840's, Hickory Hill had a school house, 2 or 3 churches, a store, gravel yard, and tannery. My mind raced with images of pioneer children gathering these precious nuts. I did indeed feel like I'd found real treasure.

We are sharing photos, greeting cards, pendants and tshirts to honor our wonderful Hickory Hill legacy. Check them out at www.texaseagle.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment